Paleo Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets (No Almond Flour)
No matter how old you are or where you are in your clean eating journey, chicken nuggets are fun!
*true story* My 13 year old had a friend over yesterday and by his own admission this friend (we’ll call him Lucas) doesn’t eat anything “healthy or green“. He ended up staying for dinner and I couldn’t help chuckling to myself as he reached for more chicken nuggets! He didn’t ask if they were ‘healthy’ and I didn’t offer anything up. I received a text from his mom later in the evening telling me that my dinner had been a hit! Lucas really liked the nuggets and she would like the recipe!
Convince even the pickiest eaters that healthy doesn’t mean tasteless. These nuggets have no (grain) flour coating and no (almond) flour coating. You can make these after work or prep them in the morning. They are crunchy, delicious and no one will be the wiser!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- 1/3 cup of milk (of choice) or water
- 1/4 cup of ketchup (optional) (I like this one)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper
- 3x (3.5 oz) bags of Plantain Chips (or your favorite) (I like these)
- Fat of choice for frying (coconut oil, lard, tallow etc....) -optional
- *Note: These can be lightly fried until golden, then baked or just baked (minus the frying).
- In a medium bowl, combine ingredients for soaking liquid and set aside.
- Cut chicken into desired sized nuggets and put into soaking liquid.
- Soak chicken for as long as you've got. I usually end up leaving mine soaking in the fridge for about 2 hours (or more if I'm super organized!)
- When you're ready to roll, grind plantain chips in a blender to desired fineness. I like mine ground like bread crumbs. Scoop crumbs onto a flat plate and add a pinch or 2 of sea salt. This is a personal taste because some brands of plantain chips are already quite salty.
- If frying (then baking), heat up a pan and add oil. If baking only, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375.
- Using a fork, remove chicken chunks from liquid one at a time and place them in the crumbs. Coat adequately and begin frying (until golden on each side). Fry both sides until golden then place onto baking sheet OR just set them directly onto the baking sheet after breading.
- **If fried first: bake for 10-15 mins, turning after 5-6 mins.
- ***If baked only: bake for 20-25 mins, turning at 10 mins.