3 Step DIY Turkey Deli Meat
Deli meat, AKA cold cuts, AKA luncheon meats, are found everywhere and can be a brown bagger’s best friend – a 2 faced friend, with a dirty little secret, that is! Yup, despite it looking (and tasting) good, this friend doesn’t have your best interest in mind.
Take a look at the ingredients of this Oscar Mayer Roasted Turkey Breast Lunch Meat:
TURKEY BREAST, WATER, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM LACTATE, SALT, SUGAR, SODIUM PHOSPHATES, CARRAGEENAN, NATURAL FLAVOR, SODIUM DIACETATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, CARAMEL COLOR
Allow me to introduce you to a true best friend: DIY Deli Meat. In April, I shared my recipe for DIY Roast Beef Deli Meat and was inundated with requests for DIY Turkey Deli Meat, so I have put together the moistest, easiest recipe for turkey breast…that will love you back :)
Here’s what you’ll need:
a large turkey breast roast (boneless)
rosemary, thyme (optional)
DIY Turkey Breast Deli Meat
- 1 large Turkey Breast Roast (boneless)
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Rosemary and Thyme Optional but a very nice addition
- Preheat oven to 200° F and set oven rack to center. Prepare a cookie sheet by lining it with aluminum foil (you could use parchment paper here but because the meat isn’t actually going to touch the foil I prefer aluminum for easier clean up), then placing a rack on top of it.
- Give your roast a rinse and pat dry.
- Drizzle with olive oil and generously sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Press in the herbs.
- Put a meat thermometer in the center of the roast and place roast on rack.
- Place in oven and cook until internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- Allow to cool then slice. You can use a sharp knife or a deli meat slicer for more even slices, either way it’s delicious, moist and additive free. Enjoy!
This recipe is also shared over at Nourishing Minimalism.